HUMA 205 Chapter 1: Chapter 1 Note part 6

106 views5 pages
22 Jun 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
419. In Egypt and Mesopotamia, in the period around 3000 bce, the simple farming communities of the
earlier Neolithic (New Stone) Age were replaced by cities, the product of agricultural discoveries that
provided the food supply for relatively large numbers of people to live together.
420. Most of the best examples of these later paintings are from Knossos, but some particularly
enchanting scenes have been found in the recent excavation of a Minoan colony on the island of
Thera [Fig.
421. CHAPTER 4 The Roman Legacy “Though my mind shudders to remember, I shall begin.” After
my uncle departed I spent the rest of the day on my studies; it was for that purpose I had stayed.
422. LONDON COLOGNE RAVENNA TARQUINIA OSTIA NAPLES POMPEII CARTHAGE LEPTIS
ACTIUM ATHENS ALEXANDRIA JERUSALEM EPHESUS PERGAMUM BYZANTIUM
(CONSTANTINOPLE) PALMYRA ANTIOCH SPLIT BRINDISI ROME PRAENESTE NÎMES S PA I N
N O R T H A F R I CA G AU L G E R M A N Y D ACIA BRITAIN A S I A M I N O R 0 500 Miles 0
500 Kilometers THE ROMANWORLD .
423. Octavian was left as sole ruler of the Roman world, which was now in ruins.
424. Above all other Greek lyric poets, Sappho has captured the hearts and minds of the following ages.
425. In Athens, potters were slower to discard the eff ects of the Geometric period and less able to
develop an all-purpose style like the Corinthian.
426. Museo Nazionale Romano, Rome, Italy//© Alinari/Art Resource, NY to fame was as the offi cial
portraitist of Alexander the Great.
427. To the west, Italy and Sicily were colonized and Greek cities were established there.
428. In the Punic Wars (called after the Roman name for the Phoenicians, Poeni) the Romans
decisively defeated the Carthaginians and confi scated their territories.
429. 4.2 Roman Mosaic, 2nd3rd century ce.
430. The diff ering worldviews of the authors of these works vividly illustrate the changing fate of
Athens in the fi fth century bce.
431. From the beginning, the Greek world was divided into separate city-states among which fi erce
rivalries would grow.
432. The upper two and fourth levels show heroic episodes from Greek mythology, including the
hunting of the Calydonian boar and a chariot race at the funeral games for Patroclus.
433. Throughout the fi fth century bce, music played an important part in dramatic performances but
was generally subordinated to the poetry.
434. There is nevertheless no evidence that Greek music contained any element of harmony in a more
modern sensethat is, of groups of notes (chords) sounded simultaneously.
435. Socrates Socrates is one of the most important figures in Greek history.
436. Greek tragedies, for example, are still read and performed today because they give experiences
that are as intense emotionally and intellectually as anything in the Western dramatic tradition.
437. 4.20]. The Roman achievement in both architecture and engineering had a lasting eff ect on the
development of later architectural styles.
438. Julius Caesar (10044 bce) is perhaps the most famous Roman of them all.
439. It is not surprising that the term baroque, originally used to describe the extravagant European art
of the seventeenth century ce, is often applied to the art of the Hellenistic period.
440. Unlike the Greeks, the Etruscans were less interested in intellectual problems of proportion or
understanding how the human body works than in producing an immediate impact on the viewer.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
441. Minoan columns tapered downward; their narrowest point was at their base, unlike Greek
columns, which widen to their base, or Egyptian columns, most of which retain the same width from
top to bottom.
442. In any case, from the time of Augustus, art at Rome became largely offi cial.
443. The Corinthian artists developed a miniature style that used a wide variety of Eastern motifs
sphinxes, winged human fi gures, fl oral designsall of which were arranged in bands covering
almost the entire surface of the vase.
444. Around 440 bce, one of the greatest of Classical sculptors, Polykleitos of The Visual Arts in
Classical Greece .
445. In art, Fortuna was represented like Tyche, but the Roman goddess appeared in various forms:
Fortuna liberum (of children), Fortuna redux (assuring a safe return from a journey), Fortuna privata
(of family life), and many more.
446. The ancient Greeks and Romans believed that the Etruscans had come to Italy from the East,
perhaps from Lydia, an ancient kingdom in Asia Minor.
447. The art and literature created during his reign represents the peak of the Roman cultural
achievement.
448. As their territory grew, Roman civilization developed along with it, assimilating the cultures of
the peoples who fell under Roman domination.
449. A stone relief showing the royal couple and three of their children sitting quietly under the rays
of the sun disc is an astonishing departure from the dignifi ed style of the preceding thousand years
[Fig.
450. The best known of these centers is Knossos (other important ones have been excavated at
Phaistos, Mallia, and Zakro) [Fig.
451. Like the other Minoan palaces, Knossos was decorated with vivid wall paintings depicting
religious ceremonies and scenes from daily life.
452. Around 1400 bce, Knossos was abandoned for reasons that remain mysterious, and power passed
to mainland Greece, where a people called the Mycenaeans had appeared by 1600 bce.
453. Classical artists sought clarity and balance even in showing scenes of violence, but Hellenistic
artists allowed themselves to depict riotous confusion involving strong contrasts of light and shade
and the appearance of perpetual motion.
454. In the nineteenth century the English poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge was to comment, with much
truth, that one was born either a “Platonist” or an “Aristotelian.” The Lyceum seems to have been
organized with typical Aristotelian effi ciency.
455. In fi elds such as language, law, politics, religion, and art Roman culture continues to aff ect our
lives.
456. The most complete demonstration of the new interest in the fate of the individual can be found in
the works of Plato, Socrates’ disciple, who spent much of his life studying the relationship between
individuals and the state.
457. In the morning Aristotle lectured to the full-time students, many of whom came from other parts
of Greece to attend his courses and work on the projects he was directing.
458. Probably no other culture in human history has ever demonstrated so strong a conservatism and
determination to preserve its separate traditions.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Chapter 4 the roman legacy though my mind shudders to remember, i shall begin. after my uncle departed i spent the rest of the day on my studies; it was for that purpose i had stayed. London cologne ravenna tarquinia ostia naples pompeii carthage leptis. Actium athens alexandria jerusalem ephesus pergamum byzantium (constantinople) palmyra antioch split brindisi rome praeneste n mes s pa i n. N o r t h a f r i ca g au l g e r m a n y d acia britain a s i a m i n o r 0 500 miles 0. 500 kilometers the romanworld : octavian was left as sole ruler of the roman world, which was now in ruins, above all other greek lyric poets, sappho has captured the hearts and minds of the following ages. To the west, italy and sicily were colonized and greek cities were established there.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers