PSYC 3600 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Lie Detection, Confirmation Bias, Stereotype Threat

51 views6 pages
29 Jan 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Even in the earliest legal systems, there were techniques for detecting lies. Legal professionals must rely on their own eyes, ears, and intuitions to catch liars: sometimes investigators resort to machine-assisted lie detection devices, such as polygraphs, to uncover deception. Deception is an essential lubricant of social interaction. From an evolutionary perspective, lying is adaptive. It serves a useful function that promotes survival. Our facility at bending the truth is what enables relatively harmonious group interaction. The (cid:862)machiavellian i(cid:374)tellige(cid:374)(cid:272)e h(cid:455)pothesis(cid:863) holds that a g(cid:396)eat leap fo(cid:396)(cid:449)a(cid:396)d i(cid:374) hu(cid:373)a(cid:374) i(cid:374)tellige(cid:374)(cid:272)e was triggered by the need for humans to develop the essential social skills of manipulation. The dominant judicial attitude appears to be that assessing credibility is a fairly (cid:862)st(cid:396)aightfo(cid:396)(cid:449)a(cid:396)d (cid:373)atte(cid:396). (cid:863) People can do better than chance in distinguishing truth from lies, but not by much. The overall accuracy rate is about 54%: when liars have time to plan out and rehearse their lies, their lies are slightly harder to detect.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers