PSYC 2030 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2, 3, 6: Scientific Method, Behaviorism, Histogram

238 views5 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 2: research in psychology (cid:858)doi(cid:374)g ps(cid:455)(cid:272)holog(cid:455)(cid:859) i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)es e(cid:454)a(cid:373)i(cid:374)i(cid:374)g aspe(cid:272)ts of (cid:373)e(cid:374)tal life & thei(cid:396) i(cid:373)pa(cid:272)t o(cid:374) (cid:271)eha(cid:448)io(cid:396). This examination take 1 of 4 forms: description, understanding & mapping out patterns in phenomena, prediction, work out precursors & consequences of phenomena, explanation, understand why phenomena occur, application, use knowledge to address relevant issues in the world. Scientific method: procedure for acquiring & testing knowledge through systematic observation or experimentation. Empirical method: procedure for obtaining information on the basis of observations. Two important purposes that a theory serves: should be capable of accounting for multiple facts. It should allow researchers to generate predictions about what will happen in novel situations. Purpose of most research is to test these using scientific methods. Hypothesis: statement about the causal relationship between particular phenomena. Usually derived from particular theory & designed to be tested in research. Theory: system to explanation used to make sense of & integrate a number of empirical findings.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers