PSYC 1010 Chapter Notes - Chapter 9: Fragile X Syndrome, Social Intelligence, Intellectual Disability

42 views3 pages
naya-2002 and 39638 others unlocked
PSYC 1010 Full Course Notes
PSYC 1010 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
63 documents

Document Summary

Has many issues in terms of definition (ex. street smart vs school smart, understanding different things better vs worse) Iq: determined from validated assessment battery (wais-r), narrow definition of intelligence. Iq changes over time, but around age 7-10 it becomes a good predictor. Intelligence measure is culture-defined (measured according to the general definition of (cid:862)s(cid:373)art(cid:863)(cid:895), ge(cid:374)erall(cid:455) refers to i(cid:374) ter(cid:373)s of a(cid:272)ade(cid:373)i(cid:272)s/(cid:448)er(cid:271)al i(cid:374)tellige(cid:374)(cid:272)e: common definition: ability to plan, reason, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly/from experience. Iq tests are used in other western cultures with european roots, but they do not translate well to the language and other cognitive frameworks of non-eastern countries. Genetics accounts for 50-70% of variance in iq points (in a population, not that 50-70% is directly from genetics) Flynn effect: iq has slowly increased over the generations. Larger brain may indicate greater intelligence (average correlation between 0. 35-0. 40), and higher iqs indicate a lower mortality rate earlier on.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers