PS296 Chapter Notes - Chapter 15: Standard Deviation, Type I And Type Ii Errors, Null Hypothesis

43 views3 pages
30 Jun 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
CHAPTER 15: POWER
-power is the probably of finding a significant difference if the effect that you are looking for is
real
-most applied statistical work is concerned primarily with minimizing the probably of a type I
error (alpha)/rejecting a true null hypothesis (finding a difference that is not there)
-type II/beta errors concern the problem of not finding a difference that is there (falsely
rejecting H1)
-power is defined as the probability of correctly rejecting a false H0
-power equals 1 – β
-if we say the power of a design is .65, we mean if the null hypothesis is false to the degree we
expect, the probability is .65 that the results of the experiment will lead us to reject H0
Factors affecting the power of a test:
1) alpha: the probability of a type I error
-if we increase alpha, our cutoff point moves to the left thus simultaneously decreasing
Beta and increasing power, although with a corresponding rise in the probability of a
type I error
-critical region is larger = more power
2) the true alternative hypothesis (H1)
-the chances of finding a difference depend on how large the difference actually is
3) the sample size
-as variance decreases, or n increases the overlap between the two distributions (mu0
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Power is the probably of finding a significant difference if the effect that you are looking for is real. Most applied statistical work is concerned primarily with minimizing the probably of a type i error (alpha)/rejecting a true null hypothesis (finding a difference that is not there) Type ii/beta errors concern the problem of not finding a difference that is there (falsely rejecting h1) Power is defined as the probability of correctly rejecting a false h0. If we say the power of a design is . 65, we mean if the null hypothesis is false to the degree we expect, the probability is . 65 that the results of the experiment will lead us to reject h0. Factors affecting the power of a test: alpha: the probability of a type i error. If we increase alpha, our cutoff point moves to the left thus simultaneously decreasing.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers