PS260 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Frontal Lobe, Temporal Lobe, Prefrontal Cortex

23 views1 pages
9 Aug 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Capgras syndrome: can result from injuries to the brain. Someone with this syndrome might insist that there are slight differences between the imposter and the person he has supposedly replaced subtle changes in personality or changes in appearances. No one sees these nonexistent differences, which leads to all sorts of paranoid suspicions about why a loved one has been replaced and why no one is willing to acknowledge it. Answer: facial recognition involves cognitive appraisal (i know what my father looks like and i know you closely resemble him) and emotional appraisal (you look familiar and trigger a warm response) The emotional processing is disrupted leading to an intellectual identification without a familiarity response. Explaining capgrass syndrome: one line of evidence comes from neuroimaging techniques. Damage is in the temporal lobe, which probably disrupts circuits involving the amygdala. When this is damaged people won"t experience the warm sense of feeling good when a loved one is in front of them.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers