PS101 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Psychometrics, Evolutionary Psychology, Behaviorism

24 views2 pages
2 Feb 2015
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

How psychology developed y g o l o h c y s. I classical greek philosophers, such as socrates and aristotle, considered issues such as mind body and the nature of memory. I later philosophers, such as descartes, hume, and mill, speculated on the mind and emotions. I physiologists, such as gall, broca, and m ller, demonstrated the value of an empirical approach. I psychology"s founder was wilhelm wundt, who set up the rst research lab in 1879 (in germany). I wundt argued that psychology should be the scienti c study of consciousness. I g. stanley hall launched america"s rst psychology journal (in 1887) and helped establish the american. I advocates of structuralism argued that psychology should use introspection to analyze consciousness into its basic elements. I advocates of functionalism argued that psychology should investigate the purposes of consciousness. I functionalism had a more lasting impact on psychology, as it fostered the emergence of behaviourism and applied psychology.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers