PCTH 201 Chapter Notes - Chapter 6: Brachial Artery, Atrium (Heart), Blood Pressure

44 views2 pages

Document Summary

Circulation starts with the blood being pumped from the left heart. Arterioles: also called resistance artery (smallest diameter; very slow flow) not used to measure bp. You can measure blood pressure (bp) on any artery (usually measured on brachial artery forearm) You don"t (cid:373)easure (cid:271)lood pressure i(cid:374) arterioles (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause the pressure is too lo(cid:449) Pul(cid:373)o(cid:374)ary bp: ~20 systoli(cid:272); su(cid:271)sta(cid:374)tially lo(cid:449)er tha(cid:374) syste(cid:373)i(cid:272) (cid:894)do(cid:374)"t (cid:449)a(cid:374)t a lot of fluid i(cid:374) lungs causes pulmonary edema) Systolic pressure: when heart contracts, highest pressure in the artery. Diastolic pressure: when heart relaxes, lower pressure in the artery. The pressure drops to very low when the blood reaches the arterioles. Bp decreases drastically between aorta and veins due to resistance of flow. Right heart: pumps deoxygenated blood to the lungs (and returns to the left atrium ventricle) Aorta: largest artery that is connect from the heart (branches off) Vena cava: largest vein that transports blood back to the right atrium (heart)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers