LS101 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1-6: Employment Discrimination, Unemployment Benefits, Social Disorganization Theory

45 views5 pages

Document Summary

Introduction to legal concepts: functions of the law, alternative dispute resolution, and. Substantive laws consist of rights, duties, and prohibition administered by courts which behaviours are allowed and prohibited i. e. prohibition against murder. Procedural laws are rules concerning just how substantive laws are to be administered, enforced, changed, and used by players in the legal system i. e. filing charges, selecting a jury, presenting evidence in court, or drawing up a will. Public law concerned with the structure of gvmt. , the duties and powers of officials, and the relationship between the individual and the state. Private law concerned with both substantive and procedural rules governing relationships between individuals i. e. the law of torts or private injuries, contracts, property, wills, inheritance, marriage, divorce, and adoption. Criminal law concerned with the definition of crime and the prosecution and penal treatment of offenders a crime is a public , as oppose to an individual or private wrong.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers