AFM231 Chapter Notes - Chapter 12: False Imprisonment, Indictable Offence, Malicious Falsehood

73 views6 pages
Chapter 12- Other Torts
Bakgoud: Ro “ithso os a sall aufatuig opa. Thee’s a eleato i his fato. A
customer Julie Osbourne went in the elevator and got hit from a plate that fell above the elevator. It fell
because the maintenance company Elevator XL service hired by Smithson ran out of plate and Smithson
knew they were using a broken plate but he was ensured that a proper plate would be installed on the
very next day.
Another incident happened when he saw a replica of his best-selling figure- Old Man of the Sea. A
bootleg. He was concerned about the impact that sales of this competing figure will have on his business
Introduction
The following examples
A customer in a grocery store slips on a lettuce and falls, breaking his ankle
A salesperson intentionally overstates an important quality of a product
Business may have interfered with a legitimate interest of another and could be subject to a tort
action
Business are also protected by the same law when it is the victim of a tort. For example
A newspaper columnist maligns the environmental record of a business
Vandals continually spray paint graffiti on factory walls
A competitor entices a skilled employee to break his employment contract and join the
opetito’s usiess
Tort actions relevant to businesses can be conveniently divided between those that arise because a
business occupies a property and those that arise because of actual business operations
Torts and Property Use
An occupier is generally defined as someone who has some degree of control over land or buildings
on that land
E.g. an enterprise conducting business on property is an occupier, whether it is the owner, a
tenant, or a temporary provider of service
Possible to have more than one occupier of land or a building
Ron, is an occupier and Elevator XL service is an occupier hired to maintain elevator
Oupies’ Liailit
Describes the liability that occupiers have to anyone who enters onto their land or property.
Varies by jurisdiction
Liability at Common Law
The liability of the occupier for mishaps on property is not determined by the ordinary principles of
negligence. Rather it classifies the visitor as a trespasser, licensee, invitee, or contractual entrant
Each class is owed a different standard of care going from lowest to highest
A contractual entrant is someone who has contracted and paid for the right to enter the premises
E.g. visitors that bought tickets to see an exhibit
Duty owed to this class is a warranty that the premises are as safe as reasonable care and
skill on the part of anyone can make them
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
An invitee is someone whose presence on the property is of benefit to the occupier such as store
customers
A light lower duty of care than contractual entrant.
Must a the iitee of a uusual dage, of hih he kos o he ought to ko
No need to warn about ordinary reasonable danger
Julie is an invitee and her plate accident is an unusual danger entitled to hold the owner
and elevator company liable for injuries
A licensee is someone who has been permitted by the occupier to enter for the benefit of the
licensee
If Ron allowed people accessing an adjacent business to cut through his property has a short
cut, those users would be licensee
Occupiers are responsible to licensees for any unusual danger of which they are aware or
that they have reason to know about
Hard to tell an invitee from a licensee
A trespasser is soeoe ho goes o the lad ithout iitatio ad hose pesee is eithe
uko to the oupie o ko ad is patiall ojeted toe.g. burglar
Still owes some liability- for acts done with the deliberate intention of doing harm to the
trespasser, or an act done with reckless disregard for the presence of the trespasser
Owe the duty of acting with common humanity
If the trespasser is a child, the court usually reclassifies the trespasser as a licensee,
interpreted the duty owed the trespasser very generously
Liailit ude Oupies’ Liailit Legislatio
Pupose: to eplae the soehat otuse oo la of oupies’ liailit  a geealized dut
of ase ased o the eighou piiple set do i Dooghue  “teeso
In general, an occupier must not create deliberate harm or danger
I Julie’s ase, the eleato opa ad Ro ould e liale eause a oupie oes a statuto
dut of ae as i all the iustaes of the ase is easoale to see that pesos eteig o
the premises, and the property brought on the premises by those persons are reasonably safe while
o the peises
The Tort of Nuisance
The tort of nuisance addresses conflicts between neighbours stemming from land use
It concerns intentional or unintentioal atios take o oe eighou’s lad that ause ha of
soe sot o aothe’s, fo eaple
Noise from a steel faiato’s ahie iteupts the eighous’ sleep
Ashes escaping from a rendering company are carried onto neighbouring properties
Test is to see hethe the ipuged atiit has esulted i a ueasoale ad sustatial
itefeee ith the use ad ejoet of lad
In striking a balance between the respective parties, courts have developed the following guidelines
Interference must be substantial and unreasonable
Nuisance typically does not arise where the interference is only temporary e.g. construction
is temporary and will not lead to a remedy in nuisance
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Ba(cid:272)kg(cid:396)ou(cid:374)d: ro(cid:374) (cid:373)ithso(cid:374) o(cid:449)(cid:374)s a s(cid:373)all (cid:373)a(cid:374)ufa(cid:272)tu(cid:396)i(cid:374)g (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:374)(cid:455). A customer julie osbourne went in the elevator and got hit from a plate that fell above the elevator. Another incident happened when he saw a replica of his best-selling figure- old man of the sea. He was concerned about the impact that sales of this competing figure will have on his business. O(cid:272)(cid:272)upie(cid:396)s" lia(cid:271)ilit(cid:455: describes the liability that occupiers have to anyone who enters onto their land or property, varies by jurisdiction. Liability at common law: the liability of the occupier for mishaps on property is not determined by the ordinary principles of negligence. If the trespasser is a child, the court usually reclassifies the trespasser as a licensee, interpreted the duty owed the trespasser very generously. Lia(cid:271)ilit(cid:455) u(cid:374)de(cid:396) o(cid:272)(cid:272)upie(cid:396)s" lia(cid:271)ilit(cid:455) legislatio(cid:374: pu(cid:396)pose: to (cid:396)epla(cid:272)e the so(cid:373)e(cid:449)hat o(cid:271)tuse (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)o(cid:374) la(cid:449) of o(cid:272)(cid:272)upie(cid:396)s" lia(cid:271)ilit(cid:455) (cid:271)(cid:455) a ge(cid:374)e(cid:396)alized dut(cid:455) of (cid:272)ase (cid:271)ased o(cid:374) the (cid:862)(cid:374)eigh(cid:271)ou(cid:396)(cid:863) p(cid:396)i(cid:374)(cid:272)iple set do(cid:449)(cid:374) i(cid:374) do(cid:374)oghue (cid:448) te(cid:448)e(cid:374)so(cid:374)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers