AFM202 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Property Income, Operating Lease, Accrual

40 views3 pages
net income for tax purposes adds up net income from different sources such as employment
income, business and property income, capital gains, and other income and deductions.
After computing net income for tax purposes, various deductions from net income are allowed
under Division C of the Act.
Taale ioe is a tapaer’s et ioe for ta purposes less a appliale Diisio C dedutios
4.1 business and property income
Tapaer’s ioe for a taatio ear fro a usiess or propert is the tapaer’s profit fro the
business or property.
Any expenditure incurred to earn income is deductible (some are not deductible and some are
capitalized and amortized over time)
Busiess ad propert ioe is iluded i a tapaer’s ioe usig arual aoutig. arued
revenue and expenses are included)
RULE 1, if an expenditure is incurred in order to earn income, then it is likely deductible
RULE 2, also think about if it is a current or capital expenditure. Current expenditures that are
incurred to earn income are typically deductible in the year incurred; whereas, capital expenditures
incurred to earn income are typically deductible over time (capitalized and amortized)
Leases are not capitalized for tax purposes. It will be deductible in the year. As long as it incurred
to ear ioe ad are reasoale, does’t atter hether the lease is a apital fiae or
operating lease.
Employment income is not considered business income.
Hobbies are not carried out in order to earn profits and are not considered a business (stamps
collection). Expenditures regarding hobbies are not deductible
Determining whether a person providing services is an s earning employment or self employed and
earning business income is sometimes difficult
Non profit organizations are typically exempt from income taxation
Capital gains are not considered to be business income or property income
Property income is income earned from owning assets
Since capital gains and losses are not part of the computation of income from property, expenses
incurred to earn capital gains are not deductible
Typical property income includes rent, interest and dividends
Typical expenses that may be deducted from property income include interest, investment counsel
fees, accounting and tax return preparation fees, and expenses related to owning a rental property.
There are no tax consequences when money is borrowed or repaid.
Any interest charged on the debt may be deductible to the payer and must be included in the
income of the lender.
Interest expense on money borrowed to earn business or property income is typically deductible.
If the borrowed money was used to earn tax free income like investments held in RESP, then the
interest expense is not deductible
Legal fees paid in the year by a taxpayer related to an objection or appeal of a CRA notice of
assessment are deductible in the year paid.
Property income is included in income using accrual accounting rules
Compound interest expense must be paid in the taxation year in order to be deductible
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Current expenditures that are incurred to earn income are typically deductible in the year incurred; whereas, capital expenditures incurred to earn income are typically deductible over time (capitalized and amortized) Interest expense on money borrowed to earn business or property income is typically deductible. If the borrowed money was used to earn tax free income like investments held in resp, then the interest expense is not deductible. Individuals accrue interest each year to the anniversary day of their investment contract. Business purposes: any meals or entertainment included in the cost of the convention is 50% deductible. If it is included in the overall cost and not known then per day is charged; hence, only. 50% of this amount will be deductible: corporations often do not register for or (cid:862)atte(cid:374)d(cid:863) (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:448)e(cid:374)tio(cid:374)s. i(cid:374)stead e(cid:373)plo(cid:455)ees of the corporation register. Intracompany meetings, seminars and training courses are not considered to be conventions.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers