AFM121 Chapter Notes - Chapter 13: Efficient-Market Hypothesis, Fundamental Analysis, Rational Expectations

18 views3 pages
Chapter 13:
Fundamental Analysis: Looks at the economy, the industry, and the company.
Technical Analysis: Looks at stock trading prices, trading volumes, and other
market data, in the hopes of identifying recurring patterns.
Efficient Markets Hypothesis (EMH): States that asset prices fully reflect available
information.
The Random Walk Theory: Suggests that in efficient markets, prices will follow a
rado walk where prices chages radoly (i respose to ew ifo, which by
nature is unpredictable). In other words, there should be no persisting patterns in
asset returns.
The Rational Expectations Hypothesis: Assumes that people are rational and
make intelligent economic decisions that are consistent with the evaluation of all
available information.
Tilting of the Yield Curve: Refers to a situation where short-term rates rise while
long-term rates fall.
Five Competitive Forces: Determine the attractiveness of an industry
- Ease of entry or exit
- Degree of competition
- Availability of substitutes
- Ability to exert pressure over selling price of products
- Ability to exert pressure over the purchase price of inputs
ROE = (net earnings before extraordinary items)/(total equity)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Fundamental analysis: looks at the economy, the industry, and the company. Technical analysis: looks at stock trading prices, trading volumes, and other market data, in the hopes of identifying recurring patterns. Efficient markets hypothesis (emh): states that asset prices fully reflect available information. The random walk theory: suggests that in efficient markets, prices will follow a (cid:862)ra(cid:374)do(cid:373) walk(cid:863) where prices cha(cid:374)ges ra(cid:374)do(cid:373)ly (i(cid:374) respo(cid:374)se to (cid:374)ew i(cid:374)fo, which by nature is unpredictable). In other words, there should be no persisting patterns in asset returns. The rational expectations hypothesis: assumes that people are rational and make intelligent economic decisions that are consistent with the evaluation of all available information. Tilting of the yield curve: refers to a situation where short-term rates rise while long-term rates fall. Five competitive forces: determine the attractiveness of an industry. Ability to exert pressure over selling price of products. Ability to exert pressure over the purchase price of inputs.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers