PSYC 3570 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Brain Death

19 views2 pages

Document Summary

Ideas about the nature and meaning of death. Traditional determination=lack of respiration/pulse/heartbeat, failure to respond to light/movement/pain, lower body temp, stiffness. Unreceptive/unresponsive, no movement and no breathing, no reflexes, flat eeg, no circulation to or within brain. Event=something that occurs in a specific way and at a specific time and place. Perpetual development- evolutionary biology and philosophy death continually develops into something different . Waiting (3 phases=suspension, judgement, disposition)- western society. Cycling and recycling death comes and goes in our lives . Death as a person- personifications of death have helped people cope with death. Death=cold and remote, grim and terrifying (men>women) Social death-you are with other people but nobody is paying attention to you. Trivial-i am still here but i am not the person i once was. Fertile dead- life gives way to death, death gives way to life. Beast to dark lover- vampire (=werewolf) > night and graves.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers