MICR 2420 Chapter Notes - Chapter UNIT 4: Dimethyl Sulfide, Alcaligenes, Putrescine

34 views2 pages

Document Summary

Many of the bacterial populations associated with spoilage grow optimally at. Therefore it is important to decrease the temperature as soon as possible in order to give the bacteria the least time to grow at their optimal growth temperature. This will increase the time to spoilage detection level. Also, once cellular processes cease, myoglobin is oxidized to metmyoglobin. This results in an undesirable colour change from red to brown. Quickly cooling the carcass decrease the rate of this reaction. (i think there might be more to this question but i couldn"t find other information. Please let me know if i missed anything. )4. 1q3meat is so perishable because it contains a high content of protein and npn compounds, low glucose, and a high water activity. The ph of meat is around 5. 5-6. 0, which allows for the growth of many different microbes. Microbes metabolize amino acids as an energy source, and produce foul smelling compounds (esters, methyl sulfides, and acids).

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers