FRHD 2100 Chapter Notes - Chapter 6: Storge, Physical Attractiveness

43 views2 pages

Document Summary

Concept that people tend to develop relationships with people who are similar to themselves in i. e. attractiveness, cultural background, personality and interests. Opposites do not attract: we"re less attracted to people who disagree with our views. Propinquity: proximity (cid:523)we"re attracted to people near us(cid:524) Women value same views more, whereas men value physical attractiveness more. Reciprocity: mutual exchange (when we are admired we tend to return these feelings) Key factor in consideration of partners for dates, sex and long-term relationships. Storge: loving attachment and nonsexual affection i. e. parents to child. Agape: selfless love i. e. giving to charity. Philia: love between friends i. e. liking and respect not sexual desire. Biological mechanisms: neural pathways in brain for feelings of love, or the chemistry of love i. e. dopamine. Love as appraisal of arousal: romantic love in terms of physiological arousal. Sternberg"s triangular theory of love: intimacy: feelings of closeness, passion: intense sexual desire for someone, commitment: dedication to maintain the relationship.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers