ANTH 1150 Chapter Notes - Chapter 12: Clifford Geertz, Unilineality, Family Affairs

31 views6 pages

Document Summary

Fulfils the need to explain and confront death, this is a universal need. Gives meaning to individual and group life. Provide moral sanctions for good behaviour (ie, promise of an afterlife) In the 19th century, it was suggested that science would destroy religion because it would provide realistic explanations, however, science has caused new anxieties that have made people turn to religion for comfort. New developments in biotechnology (cloning, engineering of new organisms) Fear of loneliness in a society that separates kin and friends. Traditional religions continue to exist, but traditional fundamentalist religions are increasing in popularity (islamic, jewish, hindu) Fu(cid:374)da(cid:373)e(cid:374)talis(cid:373) (cid:396)eligio(cid:374) is i(cid:374)(cid:272)(cid:396)easi(cid:374)g i(cid:374) (cid:396)espo(cid:374)se to t(cid:396)aditio(cid:374)al (cid:396)eligio(cid:374)"s loss of i(cid:373)pa(cid:272)t o(cid:374) society. Fundamentalism may have radical elements, not everyone in a fundamental religion are there to become terrorists. Some basic elements found in all fundamentalist religions are: Follow the literal translation of their sacred texts. See themselves as guardians of the truth.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers