SOCI 327 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Royal Assent, Advantageous, Youth Criminal Justice Act

68 views11 pages

Document Summary

I(cid:374)stead of t(cid:396)a(cid:374)sfe(cid:396)(cid:396)i(cid:374)g i(cid:374) (cid:862)(cid:271)est i(cid:374)te(cid:396)est(cid:863) of youth offe(cid:374)de(cid:396) a(cid:374)d protection of public, adult sentences are only allowed if the judge determines that a youth sentence would not be long enough to hold the youth accountable. Instead of youth persuading judge to remain in youth court, judge must now prove why youth should not remain in youth court. Renewal of youth justice which was federal response to standing (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)ittee"s (cid:396)epo(cid:396)t. Opposed presumption that extrajudicial measures should be used with non-violent first offenders and requirements that police consider use of extrajudicial measures before charging: claim intrusion by federal to provincial administration of justice, ex. 2001 as bill c-7 (only minor ammendments: changes, removed broad judicial discretion to admit statements in cases in which the police had violated the legal safeguards of youths. Justice emphasizes message to public media of taking violent youth crime seriously.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers