BIOL 205 Chapter Notes - Chapter 36: Inclusive Fitness, Endocrine Disruptor, Sociobiology

35 views2 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 36 textbook notes (chapter 35 in old version) Behavioral ecology- study of behavior in evolutionary context, considering proximate (cid:894)i(cid:373)(cid:373)ediate(cid:895) a(cid:374)d ulti(cid:373)ate (cid:894)evolutio(cid:374)ary(cid:895) (cid:272)auses of a(cid:374) a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al"s a(cid:272)tio(cid:374)s. Innate behavior- is performed the same way by all members of a species, fixed action pattern (fap), is an unchangeable series of actions triggered by a specific stimulus, ensures activites essential to survival are performed correctly without practice. Habituation- learning to ignore a repeated, unimportant stimulus. Imprinting- irreversi(cid:271)le lear(cid:374)i(cid:374)g li(cid:373)ited to a se(cid:374)sitive period i(cid:374) the a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al"s life. Spatial learning- involves using landmarks to move through the environment. Kinesis and taxis are simple movements in response to a stimulus. Cognitive maps- internal representations of spatial relationships of objects in the surroundings. Migratory animals may move between areas using the sun, stars, landmarks, or other cues. Associative learning- learn by associating external stimuli or their own behavior with positive or negative effects.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers