PSYC 357 Chapter Notes - Chapter 14: Positive Psychology, Life Satisfaction, Reference Group

42 views2 pages

Document Summary

Rowe and kahn definition of successful aging. Successful aging: regards the optimum state to be the sbsense of disease and disability, high cognitive and physical functioning, and engagement with life. Sucessful cognitive aging: can be defined as cognitive performance that is above the average for an i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s age group as o(cid:271)je(cid:272)ti(cid:448)ely (cid:373)easured. The factors that predict successful cognitive functioning in older adults may be different than those which predict better functioning amoung younger adults. Many younger people have a tendency to view the happy and productive older person as an anomaly. Positive psychology: seeks to provide greater understanding of the strengths and virtues that enable individuals and communities to thrive. Life satisfaction: overall assess(cid:373)e(cid:374)t of a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s feeli(cid:374)gs a(cid:374)d attitudes a(cid:271)out o(cid:374)e"s life at a particular point in time. I(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s o(cid:448)erall se(cid:374)se of happi(cid:374)ess: seems to be related to the tendency that people have over the years of adulthood to create and establish their life story.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers