CMNS 110 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Computer-Mediated Communication, Cyberculture, Mass Media

123 views4 pages

Document Summary

Legends on the net: an examination of computer-mediated communication as a locus of oral culture. Article supports work suggesting oral cultural dimension to cyberspace w/i real time chat modes by examining traditional oral folklore as it exists w/i textual context of online environment. Study is formal analysis of online discussion groups devoted to perpetuation & analysis of urban legends & cultural significance of their existence in online realm. As mediated human cmn becomes more & more linear, decentralized & rooted in multimedia, distinction b/w orality * literacy becomes less evident & less important. Proliferation of urban legends online demonstrates idea that cyberspace can serve as locus for primary oral culture & its attendant humanity & sociability in simultaneously textual env. Presence of urban legends online is evidence of growth of internet culture. Article builds upon work suggesting oral cultural dimension to cyberspace w/i real-time chat modes.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers