PSY 102 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Scientific Method, Emic And Etic, James To

83 views7 pages

Document Summary

Psychology- is the scientific study of the mind, brain, and behaviour. Psychology is a discipline that spans multiple levels of analysis (you have to know the levels of analysis to fully understand psychology) Levels of analysis include psychology on a biological level and on a social level. Reciprocal determinism- (cid:449)he(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)iduals i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e a(cid:374)other i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)iour this factor of psychology makes it difficult to isolate the causes of human behaviour: people"s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)iour is ofte(cid:374) shaped (cid:271)(cid:455) (cid:272)ulture. Cultural differences place limits about the nature of human nature. Point: social scientists often distinguish between emic and etic approaches to cross-cultural psychology: Emic approach- investigators study the behaviour of a culture from a perspective on an insider. Etic approach- investigators study the behaviour of a culture from the perspective of an outsider. In the beginning psychology and philosophy were basically the same subjects. People just sat there and contemplated about the human mind and used common sense.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers