MHR 405 Chapter 3: Chapter 3

31 views4 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 3: perceiving ourselves and others in organizations. Who am i? and how do i feel about myself? . We compare image of the job with our perceived and ideal selves. Similar personality and values across multiple selves (clarity) a self-concept that is clearly and confidently described, internally consistent, and stable across time (consistency) A drive to promote/protect a positive self-view (competent, attractive, lucky, ethical, valued) Positive self-concept outcomes: better personal adjustment and mental/physical health, inflates personal causation and probability of success. Motivation to verify/maintain our self-concept: stabilizes our self-concept, people prefer feedback consistent with their self-concept. Self-verification outcomes: more likely to perceive information consistent with our self-concept, we interact more with those who affirm/reflect our current self-concept. Evaluating ourselves through self-esteem, self-efficacy and locus of control. Self-esteem: high self-esteem -- less influenced, more persistent/logical. Self-efficacy: belief in one"s motivation, ability, role perceptions and situation to succeed, general vs. task-specific self-efficacy.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers