PSYC 231 Chapter 6: Self & Identity

75 views4 pages

Document Summary

Self-concept: how we define or think about ourselves. The set of ideas and inferences that you hold about yourself, including traits, social roles, schemas, and relationships. Begins with self-recognition (passing the rouge test) 2-3 years old: able to recognize self in mirrors and pictures; have mastered i , me , mine language appropriately. Begin to challenge authority and we begin to see the development of self-esteem. 3-4 years old: self-concepts reflect their developing skill and abilities in addition to physical attributes, preferences, and possessions. 5-12 years old: further developing own abilities and become acutely aware of the abilities of others. Comparing selves to peers becomes important from 5-6. At 9-10 children come to understand what a personality trait is and recognize its qualities and that they are stable over time. Begin to develop a private self and recognize there are parts of themselves that others cannot see. Adolescents: self-concepts are more abstract, incorporating motivations, beliefs, and personality characteristics.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers