EDEE 253 Chapter Notes - Chapter 10: Erik Erikson, Self-Awareness

43 views4 pages
Chapter 10: (pages 178-190)
The affective domain: developing a sense of self
-Rosalie and Calaste create self portraits of themselves
—> both have a mental picture of what they look like
—> self knowledge like this is the subject of the affective domain
—> children are not own knowing who they are - affective understanding evolves over time
Key dimensions of the affective domain
-As children interact with other people and export the world around them, they gather
information that contributes to greater self understanding. Over the years they gradually
develop a concept of “me” and “not me”.
—> they also explore the “me skills” needed to establish a place in the world
—> the knowledge and behaviours associated with the affective learning fall into three
categories:
1. self awareness
2. emotional competence
3. self efficacy
Self awareness
-As children interact with people or objects, they find out more about who the are and who they
are not
—> children use such information to define themselves as individuals and to differentiate
themselves from everyone else
—> these distinctions emerge a little at a time from children’s earliest days through adulthood
—> such attributes shape a child’s self identity = the descriptive component of the self
How self identity takes shape
-With greater maturity come comparisons with one’s earlier self and between oneself and others
—> these social companions are children’s way of differentiating themselves from others and of
establishing a relative sense of self
—> by the mid elementary years, children’s self definitions expand to include internal and
abstract qualities
Self esteem
-As self identity becomes more defined and complex, children assign positive and negative
value to the traits that characterize themselves
—> self esteem is the evaluative component of self awareness and involves how much children
value and like themselves
—> it is based on children’s daily experiences with others
—> if feedback is favourable, children make positive self evaluations
—> being the target of occasional criticism will probably not cause permanent damage to
children’s self esteem
—> children’s self esteem influences their lives greatly
Emotional competence
-Children experience hundreds of different emotion every day. Emotions involve a combination
of physical sensations, thoughts, and actions and may be more or less intense depending on
the circumstances.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

The affective domain: developing a sense of self. Rosalie and calaste create self portraits of themselves. > both have a mental picture of what they look like. > self knowledge like this is the subject of the affective domain. > children are not own knowing who they are - affective understanding evolves over time. As children interact with other people and export the world around them, they gather information that contributes to greater self understanding. Over the years they gradually develop a concept of me and not me . > they also explore the me skills needed to establish a place in the world. > the knowledge and behaviours associated with the affective learning fall into three categories: self awareness, emotional competence, self ef cacy. As children interact with people or objects, they nd out more about who the are and who they are not.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers