PHIL-215 Chapter Notes - Chapter -lecture-: Rudolf Carnap, Pure Mathematics, Jargon

29 views3 pages
31 Oct 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

If x believes p, we must consider p as a possibility (a relevant alternative is not ignorable: rule of resemblance. Then if one of them may not be properly ignored, neither may the other. I don"t know that i am seeing a barn, because i may not properly ignore the possibility that i am seeing yet another of the abundant bogus barns. Permissive rules: rule of reliability: captures what is right about causal or reliabilist theories of knowing. Consider processes whereby information is transmitted to us: perception, memory, and testimony. Of course, it is possible to hallucinate - even to hallucinate in such a way that all my perceptual experience and memory would be just as they actually are. But it can be ignored in most cases: two permissive rules of method. Suppose that people around us normally do ignore certain possibilities, and it is common knowledge that they do. We can ignore these possibilities to to be flat.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers