PSYC 3350 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Ground Truth, Polygraph, Autonomic Nervous System

64 views4 pages

Document Summary

The polygraph technique: deception is associated with physiological change, polyg(cid:396)aph: a de(cid:448)i(cid:272)e fo(cid:396) (cid:396)e(cid:272)o(cid:396)di(cid:374)g a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s auto(cid:374)o(cid:373)i(cid:272) (cid:374)e(cid:396)(cid:448)ous syste(cid:373) (cid:396)espo(cid:374)ses. If the outcome is deceptive the examiner attempts to obtain a confession. Each question has one correct option and four options that could fit the crime but that are incorrect: the guilty suspect is assumed to display a larger physiological response to the correct option than to the incorrect options. Types of studies: studies of the validity of polygraph techniques can be classified into two types: laboratory and field studies. Polygraph tests: accurate or not: the cit appears to be vulnerable to false-negative errors (falsely classifying guilty suspects as innocent), whereas the cqt is vulnerable to false-positive errors (falsely classifying innocent suspects as guilty) Can the guilty learn to beat the polygraph: countermeasures: as applied to polygraph research, techniques used to try to conceal guilt. Admissibility of polygraph evidence: polygraph evidence is not admissible in canadian criminal courts of law.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers