COMM 222 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Discrepancy Theory, Nonconformist, Absenteeism

73 views2 pages

Document Summary

Values: preferring certain states of affairs over others. Basically, we judge some situations/people as good and others as bad. They signal how we believe people should and should not behave, in a broad sense. My grandparents believe you should only kiss someone if you think you will marry them. Attitudes: an evaluation of a specific person, object, situation or group. i. e . how you tend to respond to them. Atheists and christians have very different attitudes towards prayer. My belief is people should respect the law. My value is that the world is better when people conform to laws. My attitude is that people who steal stuff should be stopped. I will call the cops when i see someone breaking into a jewelry store. Beliefs lead to values lead to attitude lead to behavior. Discrepancy theory: dissatisfaction is caused by discrepancy between what people do or get paid and what they think they should be doing & receiving.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers