PSYC 2600 Chapter 14-15: PSYC 2600 - Chapter 14 & 15

179 views13 pages

Document Summary

Social identity as you present yourself to others. Sometimes social identity does not match our self-concept. Selves we present to others are not the selves we know our selves to be. Leading to the image or feeling of being fake or phony . **this chapter looks at how psychologists have approached the notion of the self . Our self of self-changes all the time, which may challenge certain areas such as self- concept. (cid:498)me(cid:499) self is the objective self or the descriptive self. These are the collection of statements that contribute to your description of yourself (cid:523)i. e. , (cid:498)) am tall,(cid:499) (cid:498)) am funny and smart(cid:499) etc. (cid:524). The (cid:498)me(cid:499) also consist of our loved ones and one"s possessions. Mcadams (1995) argued that the self is composed of three levels with each level increasing in depth of knowledge of the person. I dispositional self or broad description of the self. (e. g. , goals, motives, virtues, coping strategies, defense mechanisms)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers