PSYC 1002 Chapter Notes - Chapter 10: Blood Sugar, Vaginal Lubrication, Casual Sex

131 views14 pages

Document Summary

Motives: the needs, wants, interests & desires that propel people in certain directions. Homeostasis is irrelevant to some human motives. It may exist without drive arousal: emphasize how internal states of tension push people in certain directions, source of motivation lies within the organism. Incentive theories: incentive: an external goal that has the capacity to motivate behaviour. Argues one"s motivation to pursue a particular course of action will depend on two factors: (1) expectancy about one"s chances of attaining the incentive (2) the value of the desired incentive. Ex. motivation to pursue a promotion at work will depend on my estimate of how likely i will get the promotion (expectancy) + on how appealing the promotion is to me (value) Proven useful in understanding a range of human behaviours & Ex. need for dominance is greater in men than women bc. it could facilitate males" reproductive success in a variety of ways. 1: ex. the affiliation motive (need for belongingness)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers