PSYC 221 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Representativeness Heuristic, Availability Heuristic, Confirmation Bias

103 views7 pages

Document Summary

Because i said so (seems like a reliable source) I know someone who (one person"s experience is. I heard it repeatedly, so it must be true (can"t rely on urban legends) It just makes sense to me (can"t assume that your gut is right) Truthiness = what"s flawed about intuition; must test both sides; relies on intuition, not the facts. Heuristics = general rules of thumb we make for decision-making (i. e. how to calculate a tip in a restaurant) Availability heuristic = the likelihood or frequency of something happening. Does this instance fit my stereotype? ; a mental. Representative heuristic (cid:0) what shortcut for deciding the likelihood of an event by how much it resembles we consider to be a typical" example of that event. Better-than-average effect = assumption that we"re better than the average person in regards of abilities, skills, and performance; overestimation. Introspection = reflecting our own thoughts and experiences to find relevant evidence.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers