RTF 308 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: New York Motion Picture Company, General Film Company, Sherman Antitrust Act

225 views13 pages
13 Dec 2017
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Historiography- careful analysis of history; evaluating historical explanations rather than just accepting them. Oligopoly- few companies/corporations effectively cooperate to dominate a market. Ca i(cid:374) adio, ediso(cid:374)(cid:859)s trust i(cid:374) fil(cid:373), imp i(cid:374) fil(cid:373) What happens in our culture (anything but technological advances) are directly related to the effects of how films emerges. Factors that cause average cost of production to decrease as volume of output increases. Edison trust & general film company and mppc -transitional cinema (time period) Mppc (part of the trust) (1908) - transitional cinema. Set standard prices, regular release schedules (a la fordism) Restricted production and distribution to only 9 member film companies. Small number of firms cooperate to dominate a market. Reduced competition in all 3 phases of the industry. Owned key patents on cameras and equipment. Contract with eastman kodak (e(cid:448)e(cid:374)tuall(cid:455) lost to imp due to (cid:373)o(cid:374)e(cid:455), mppc did(cid:374)(cid:859)t pa(cid:455) (cid:449)ell and imp was willing to pay kodak a higher % of the profit)