PSY 309 Study Guide - Final Guide: Joseph E. Ledoux, B. F. Skinner, Endocrine System

74 views8 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

An individual"s characteristic patterns of thought, emotion, and behavior, together with the psychological mechanisms-hidden or not-behind those patterns. Unique, relatively stable pattern: mind, biological approach- believes us to be as a consequence of our genetics and physiology, psychoanalytic approach- Getting to know someone by observing the number of calls they make or the number of parties they attend a. ii. Physiological measures: blood pressure, heart rate: l data- the results or indirect measures of people"s actions or attitudes or outcomes * obtaining verifiable, concrete information about the person that may relate to personality b. i. Voting behavior; arrests: i (informant) data- judgements by knowledgeable, well acquainted others". Walter mischel argued that we can only predict someone"s behavior so well. (up to . 40 correlation) Both personality assessment and people"s attempts to predict others behavior is fundamentally flawed c. c. i. Surface traits: defines as a cluster of behaviors c. ii. Situationism that may somehow fit , such as dependable .