PHIL 101 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Prentice Hall, Ad Hominem, Truism

58 views9 pages

Document Summary

I was thirsty when i drank that liquid, and i"m not now. Avorless, and scentless; therefore, the liquid is water: because 2+2=5, there are 5 pencils here, bad argument but still an argument. Statement- in contrast, statements are declarations, about things where an argument is possible, and can be true of false: example of statements: Deductive argument- claims that premises provide perfect reason to accept the conclusion; if premises are true, it is impossible for the conclusion to be false: clues for a deductive argument: Words like de nite, certain, absolute, and necessary. Subject/type of argument: de nition, conceptual argument, mathematics, example of a deductive argument: Monday, september 26, 2016: this is cheese, cheese contains milk, this contains milk. Inductive argument- premises provide good reason but improbable for conclusion to be false: clues for a deductive argument. Subject/type of argument: generalizations, predictions, lab/physical science, appeals to authority/evidence, example of an inductive argument, this tastes like cheese, it is cheese.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers