PHIL 2429 Study Guide - Spring 2019, Comprehensive Final Exam Notes - Jus Ad Bellum, Pacifism, J. Walter Thompson

27 views29 pages

Document Summary

May be opposed to violence even in cases of self-defense. Deontological - it infringes on rights of others. Consequentialist - causes a chain of violence. Clean hands - the reason a person can practice pacifism is because other people do the work for them. Condoning violence because others know they won"t fight back. It is possible for a war to be just. Traditional - moral principles are completely different when war is entered. Individualist - war is a different concept, but the same moral principles should be applied. Descriptive - war is an amoral endeavour, it is about national security and national self interest. Prescriptive - ought (prudential) not to evaluate it morally. Why and when am i justified in imposing defensive harm: proportionality. If you are trying to impose unjustified harm on me, i"m entitled to impose similar harms on you. Magnitude of harm and pain (range to measure harm)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers