POLISCI 377 Study Guide - Summer 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Verb, Semicolon, Noun

83 views17 pages

Document Summary

A group of words that starts the sentence. Does not have to contain a subject or verb. Separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma: subject of sentence usually follows the comma. Group of words cannot stand on its own. Examples (introductory word group in bold): i ) whenever mike was ready to eat, his dog started begging for food: as a double major in legal studies and history, i have learned to manage my time carefully. Help to polish/flow a paragraph or sentence. To combine them you need coordinating conjuction : examples: and, but, or, neither, for, so, yet, can also use semicolon (but be careful) Can have subject and verb but does not express complete thought: so not a complete sentence. Looks like independent clause but has relative pronoun or subordinating conjunction which makes clause dependent on the rest of the sentence. Examples of relative pronouns: i ) who, whomever, which, that, whatever, what.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers