ME 270 Study Guide - Final Guide: Thermal Conductivity, Sand Casting, Google Scholar

6 views4 pages

Document Summary

Attempt as many problems as possible by yourself, i. e. before looking at the answer / solution. The answers or abbreviated solutions to the problems are shown after each question. Some of the questions might require you to do independent research using an online search engine (e. g. google, or google scholar). The most important factor is the thermal conductivity of the mold material. The higher the conductivity, the higher the heat transfer and the greater the tendency for the fluid to solidify, hence possibly impeding the free flow of the molten metal. Also, the higher the cooling rate of the surfaces of the casting in contact with the mold, the smaller the grain size and hence the higher the strength. The type of surfaces developed in the preparation of mold materials may also be different. Evidence of which type of porosity is present, i. e. , gas or shrinkage, can be gained by studying the location and shape of the cavity.