PHIL 1305 Study Guide - Comprehensive Final Exam Guide - Psychology, Aristotle, Stoicism

119 views26 pages

Document Summary

Tolstoy: hold tf up, i think i missed something. They treasure life and see suicide as the greatest of evils. It turns out humanity has some kind of knowledge of meaning of life that i had overlooked. Life leads to the denial of reason > faith provides us a possibility of living. Problem: couldn"t attach a rational meaning to life. In an ordinary life a situation is absurd when it includes a conspicuous discrepancy between pretension or aspiration and reality . Must arise from the perception of something universal. Collision between the seriousness with which we take our lives and the perpetual possibility of regarding everything about which we are serious as arbitrary, or open to doubt . Watch our life and other lives with detached amazement. We can step back, but not like dung beetles or cats. Absurdity is one of the most human things about us. The two most prominent arguments for outlying drugs fail.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers