71 views2 pages
17 May 2018
School
Course
Professor
Koa : A ok asked Maste Joshu, Does a dog hae Buddha-atue?
Joshu eplied, Mu
I would feel extremely confused and anxious if I received a two letter response
from my master regarding a valid question. First of all, what is Mu? Is it a word or a
soud? I ould’t ee hae the pope foudatio to stat the ecessa thought
pocess to dissect the eaig behid the aste’s espose. I ko that the ase
is supposed to elucidate the importance behind the question so that the student can
gain enlightenment, and that the frustration is part of the process. The article
mentioned how the student, after a long period of zazen, was able to solidify his
udestadig of his aste’s ase. Theefoe, it shocases that the icoheet and
short answers are designed to be a strong tool in the practice of zazen to aid in the
studet’s path toads elighteet. Oeall, I staed at this paticula koa fo a
long period of time because it almost seemed so unnecessary and insignificant because
of the lack of apparent meaning behind it. But I assume that the value comes from the
inherent value that I am unable to unlock because koan are not meant for anyone and
is rather a very complex system of words. It also relies on the relationship between a
aste ad studet that I ca’t itess o epeiece as a thid-party.
Koa #: Uo said, Look! The old is ast ad ide. Wh do ou put o ou
piest’s obe at the soud of the bell?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Koa(cid:290) (cid:799): a (cid:289)o(cid:290)k asked maste(cid:325) joshu, (cid:907)does a dog ha(cid:362)e buddha-(cid:290)atu(cid:325)e? (cid:908) I would feel extremely confused and anxious if i received a two letter response from my master regarding a valid question. I (cid:363)ould(cid:290)"t e(cid:362)e(cid:290) ha(cid:362)e the p(cid:325)ope(cid:325) fou(cid:290)datio(cid:290) to sta(cid:325)t the (cid:290)ecessa(cid:325)(cid:369) thought p(cid:325)ocess to dissect the (cid:289)ea(cid:290)i(cid:290)g behi(cid:290)d the (cid:289)aste(cid:325)"s (cid:325)espo(cid:290)se. I k(cid:290)o(cid:363) that the a(cid:290)s(cid:363)e(cid:325) is supposed to elucidate the importance behind the question so that the student can gain enlightenment, and that the frustration is part of the process. The article mentioned how the student, after a long period of zazen, was able to solidify his u(cid:290)de(cid:325)sta(cid:290)di(cid:290)g of his (cid:289)aste(cid:325)"s a(cid:290)s(cid:363)e(cid:325). But i assume that the value comes from the inherent value that i am unable to unlock because koan are not meant for anyone and is rather a very complex system of words. It also relies on the relationship between a (cid:289)aste(cid:325) a(cid:290)d stude(cid:290)t that i ca(cid:290)"t (cid:363)it(cid:290)ess o(cid:325) e(cid:368)pe(cid:325)ie(cid:290)ce as a thi(cid:325)d-party.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers