ENV S 2 Study Guide - Final Guide: Covalent Bond, Fungicide, Biodiesel

55 views23 pages
25 Aug 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Importance of water: uneven global distribution a. i. a. ii. 2025 - more than of humans will live in areas with inadequate supply of freshwater: properties b. i. Non renewable - takes 100s - 1000s of years to form: water resource problems, categories a. i. too much a. i. 1. Humans remove water absorbing plant cover and construct buildings a. ii. too little on flood plains a. ii. 1. a. ii. 2. Irrigation used to increase productivity of dry regions. 71% of world"s total water used for irrigation a. iii. poor quality: aquifer depletion b. i. Lowers the water table - upper surface of the saturated zone of groundwater. Subsidence - sinking of the land b. i. 2. a. b. i. 2. b. b. i. 2. b. i. Ground sinking nearly 2 in/ month in some places. Saltwater intrusion - seawater aquifer near coast b. ii. Ogallala aquifer - largest in the world b. ii. 1. b. ii. 2. Mined 40x faster than it can be replaced by nature. Water table lowered 30m: overdrawing surface water c. i. West/ sw us and florida: salinization of irrigated soil d. i.