LIFESCI 15 Study Guide - Final Guide: Botulinum Toxin, Muscle Hypertrophy, Myelin

186 views4 pages
3 Jun 2018
School
Department
Professor
3/16/18 LS15 FINAL REVIEW
1. Happiness; why is the rate and direction of change more important than absolute levels? And how
does this relate to material acquisitions.
a. Old test: presented date of that ½ of all suicides that occur in prison happen the first night
the’re i priso
2. Why are emotions designed to be less permanent than they feel?
a. They are tools our genes use to manipulate us to behave in service of our fitness
3. Describe 3 pieces of evidence supporting the idea our emotions such as happiness are tools that our
genes use to manipulate our behavior.
a. We have 30 year block of data of how the GEP per capita went up up up but happiness did not,
fitness is a relative gain
b. The fact that everyone is getting better is irrelevant to fitness
c. If you plotted your ioe agaist eeroe else’s ad it as goig up up up, e’d epet our
own happiness to be going up
d. Can talk about different emotions other than happiness bc they all exist for the same reason
4. Use an example describe the interplay between culture and biology
a. Genes (biology) nudging us to specific thing
b. Culture non-transmission cellular things that cause us to behave in a specific way
5. What is the fundamental reproductive equation and what does that reveal about culture and biology?
a. Se = prega …
i. All these biological constraints that lead to a bad outcome
b. Culture interplay, ideas that cause that not to be true back and forth
6. Using 2 examples, explain what constrained learning is and how it illuminates the culture biology
interplay
a. Ex: one set of classical conditioned experiments, cue before or after electric shock affects their
learning
b. E: learig laguages is eas i a speifi ido earl o, later o it’s harder
c. Eplai h i oe ase learig happes ut i aother h it does’t
7. What is the EEA and why is it important to know about it
a. Environment of evolutionary adaptiveness
b. It tells ou hat e’re adapted to, the ore ou ko aout it the ore ou’ll ko hat
adaptations should be present in the pop
8. Why is the EEA sometimes different from our current environment?
a. The environment can change faster than evolution
b. Antibiotic resistant strains of microbes
9. Describe 3 examples of species having an EEA different from the current environment
a. Industrialized humans
b. Zoo animals can get beautiful aials of zoos ut the’re all fat, the get all the food the
eed ad do’t hae to ork for it
c. Lab rats
d. Pets everyone feeds their pets everyday almost as much food as they want
10. *****What does mismatch mean, what are its implications for our instincts?
a. Ca’t trust our istits  our EEA is’t the sae as our urret eiroet
11. Why is it hard to be a teenager?
a. We at se, our parets do’t
b. Biologial ipulses are takig ou oe diretio ut e lie i a eiroet here it’s
perceived not important
12. Describe 3 other examples of conflict that humans experience due to the alien nature of our world
13. What is the naturalistic fallacy?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in