ASA 3 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Reference Group, Identity Formation, Asian Americans

56 views3 pages
22 Mar 2017
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Attachment to, sense of belonging to, and identification with members of one"s group as well as one"s ethnic culture. Formed through cultural socialization: despite societal and familial expectations, one can have differential identification with or rejection of the traditions, customs, and cultural values. External ethnic identity: participation in ethnic activities and cultural practices: something that is outside of us, external, behavior based and something that can be observed, prefers food from their cultural heritage, dresses up in their culture. You"re just doing it because your parents told you to. Unexamined ethnic identity: lack of concern about issues of ethnic identity: low exploration and low commitment diffused identity. I have no interest, i don"t feel committed, i don"t anything about it: low exploration and high commitment foreclosed identity. They don"t choose to ask about ethnic origins. They feel really positive about their origin but they don"t really know anything about it.