KNES 360 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Hemoglobin, Heart Rate Monitor, Monark

92 views3 pages

Document Summary

Definition: volume of oxygen utilized by body tissues in order to produce energy per unit time (l/min or ml/kg/min) Determinants of oxygen consumption (vo2: oxygen delivery cardiac output or hr x sv bringing the oxygen, oxygen utilization cellular capabilities of muscle for metabolism how much oxygen the body uses. I(cid:374)di(cid:272)ati(cid:448)e of a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s a(cid:271)ility to do aero(cid:271)i(cid:272) (cid:449)ork can estimate vo2 max which will then say how much work you can do. Oxidative pathway: ability to make atp to be used in metabolism to create energy, aerobic pathways. During exercise, oxygen demand by muscles is many times greater than at rest. Similar response to heart rate how the oxygen consumption increases. Increased cardiac hemodynamics oxygen with hb in blood interact differently: shunting of blood to skeletal muscles this is why exercise and eating do(cid:374)"t (cid:449)ork together do(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e e(cid:374)ough (cid:271)lood to (cid:272)ir(cid:272)ulate for (cid:271)oth of them. Increase oxygen extraction by skeletal muscles they need it for oxidative metabolism.