GEOG 201 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Volcanic Arc, Oceanic Trench, Plate Tectonics

245 views5 pages

Document Summary

Exam 1 review: outer core is liquid b. Oceanic meets continental (subduction) a. i. 1. the oceanic plate is heavier than the continental plate and this causes it to move downwards forming an ocean trench. Opening allows molten material to emerge in form of a. i. 2. volcano a. ii. Oceanic meets oceanic a. ii. 1. one is heavier than the other so it subducts and creates a trench a. ii. 2. The edge of the other plate buckles and parts of it are thrust upwards above the sea to form volcanic islands (opening alllows molten material) a. ii. 3. Land between plates thrust upwards, creating mountain range a. iii. 2. a. iii. 3. Ex: himalayas formed by collision b/w indo-australian and: extension (away from each other) Huge crack allows molten material to come up. Rock solidifies and forms undersea ridges (mid atlantic ridge: transform (slide by each other) c. i. c. ii. c. iii. Plates glide past each other on a fault.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers