PHIL 0839 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: John Stuart Mill, Harm Principle, Paternalism

101 views11 pages

Document Summary

Is there any meaning to life that death doesn"t destroy? (5) Seem irrelevant but came to demand answers or i could do nothing and could not live (1) His crisis, dilemma: there was no answer (2) to a question that demanded an answer. Nothing ahead but suffering, death, complete annihilation , so life is meaningless (2) My life is a stupid and spiteful joke (3) The eastern fable (3): clings to twig of life, growing tired; night and day gnaw at twig; honey represents family, writing; dragon is death. This terror, despair can"t be natural, so he looks. Painfully and persistently day and night for explanation in all branches of kn to no avail (5) Science, philosophy rational knowledge don"t provide meaning of life (5); more strongly: convinced that all who like myself had sought knowledge for the meaning of life had found nothing (5) Science: explains what/how you live, not why; can"t give meaning of life (6)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers