PHIL 1305 Study Guide - Final Guide: Ethical Egoism, Experience Machine, Act Utilitarianism

46 views4 pages
8 Jan 2019
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

C1: i do not know that i"m dreaming p. C2: i do not know that p: hedonism as a theory of well-being. Pleasure is the only intrinsic good and pain is the only intrinsic bad. Pleasure of learning, friendship, etc: objection: experience machine objection, all subjective states can be replicated/provided within the experience machine, so the best possible subjective life is available through em, but something valuable is missing in the em. Something is intrinsically valuable other than the subjective state: pleasure is a subjective state, desire/preference fulfillment theory of well being. Desire satisfaction theory: the only intrinsic good is the satisfaction of desires. Gets past em objection because desires appear to be satisfied but aren"t really: objection: doesn"t really capture what desires outweigh others. A trivial desire can give you a good life: the satisfaction of evil desires is intrinsically good, some things are good/desired whether you desire them or not, like racism argument against ethical egoism.