01:830:101 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Natural Selection, Reticular Formation, Myelin

22 views9 pages
coralporcupine379 and 85 others unlocked
01:830:101 Full Course Notes
01:830:101 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
172 documents

Document Summary

Introduction: what is psychology, psychology is the scientific study of thought, behavior, and emotion, what are each of the modern psychological perspectives, biological/neuroscientific i. How physical systems such as the brain affect emotions, behavior, and thought: evolutionary i. Natural selection of traits: behavior genetics i. Contribution of genes and environment to behavior: psychoanalytic/psychodynamic i. Unconscious dynamics within the individual: behavioral i. Learning via reinforcements and punishments: cognitive i. How people reason, interprete, and remember: sociocultural i. How social and cultural forces influence a person"s behavior. Module 1: the history and scope of psychology i. ii. iii. iv. Psychologists approach the world with a curious skepticism, always asking what do you mean? and how do you know? . The rat is always right - meaning that if the behavior of subjects do not match a scientists ideas, the idea is at fault. Curiosity, skepticism, and humility make modern science possible.