OT 335 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Lateral Globus Pallidus, Medial Globus Pallidus, Intralaminar Nuclei Of Thalamus

53 views1 pages

Document Summary

Function of basal ganglia: regulates movement, initiates and plans movement, suppresses unwanted movements, has multiple feedback loops with the motor cortex. Large collections of nuclei in both hemispheres, helps plan and control complex patterns of movement. Huntington"s chorea- destru(cid:272)tio(cid:374) of (cid:272)ells i(cid:374) striatu(cid:373), pro(cid:271)le(cid:373) (cid:449)ith the i(cid:374)dire(cid:272)t path(cid:449)ay resulti(cid:374)g i(cid:374) too (cid:373)u(cid:272)h movement. Tardive dyskinesia- involuntary movements of tongue, lips, face, trunk & extremities. Striatum- (cid:862)door(cid:449)ay(cid:863) of the (cid:271)asal ga(cid:374)glia: made up of the caudate and putamen, afferents to striatum come from cerebral cortex (m1, premotor cortex) and intralaminar nuclei of the thalamus, neurotransmitters- glutamate and acetylcholine. Involved with initiating habitual behaviors (ie. washing hands and locking the door: connected with the frontal lobe, overactive caudate- associated with ocd, underactive caudate- associated with depression and lethargy. Involved in coordinating automatic motor behaviors (ie. riding a bike or driving a car)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers