POL_SC 1100 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Warren Sturgis Mcculloch, Steamboat, Cooperative Federalism

90 views8 pages
13 Aug 2016
School
Professor

Document Summary

Ginsberg and lowi: declaration of independence, who injured the colonist- king george, when is it okay to overthrow the government- if they aren"t acting in our best interests or if they betray us, natural laws c. i. Are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights c. ii. Formal and effective limits are placed on powers of gov: authoritarian gov e. i. Gov reg. no formal limit on power, but can be restrained by other institutions: totalitarian gov f. i. No formal limits on power and seeks to absorb/ eliminate other social institutions that challenge it (nazi: autocracy g. i. Where one person has power: oligarchy h. i. Small group of people having control of country: democracy i. i. Gov where supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by the elected agents. Two important changes in the character and conduct of gov: gov acknowledged formal limits on power, small number of gov began to provide a small number of citizens with a voice.