CEM 141 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: London Dispersion Force, Atomic Orbital, Scientific Law

42 views7 pages
4 Feb 2020
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Cem 141 mock exam 1 fall 2016: multiple choice (note all constants and equations needed are on the last page. Iii: i, ii, iii, both i and iii, thomson"s experiment allowed him to make the claim that all atoms have a sub structure and contain smaller particles (electrons) embedded in the structure of the atom. Evidence: electrons were ejected from the cathode, regardless of what metal the cathode was made of. Electrons were bent by magnetic and electric fields. Since the particles are emitted regardless of the nature of the cathode, they must be part of the sub-structure of the atom. Electrons must be negatively charged because they accelerate towards the anode (positive end of the apparatus): i, iii. Ii, iii: which of these statements are true, all neutral atoms and molecules attract each other. London dispersion forces increase as the size of the electron cloud increases. It takes energy to overcome the attractions between particles.