CFS 2050 Study Guide - Fall 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - World War Ii, Working Poor, White People

139 views37 pages
CFS 2050
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 37 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

Elizabeth Shelby
CFS 2050
Chapter 1
Homework 1
1. I personally do believe that Scarborough 11 were one family. I define family as those who love
and support. Support as emotionally, financially, or even just helping around the house. I
understand they were not blood related however, a big piece of family is love. However, this
family was also raising children together which is the definition of family.
2. The two components of American Individualism are utilitarian individualism and expressive
individualism.
3. I eliee hildre are osidered a puli good eause of the fat the puli is supposed to
benefit from them. As children they cannot help as much because they legally cannot work.
They take more out as a child than an adult.
4. Some daily activities that are better analyzed through thinking of public family would be going
to work every day or going to school every day. These are things that will benefit all instead of
just them in the family.
5. Some daily activities that are better analyzed as private family would be anything that only
benefits them in the family. I take it as cleaning their house, cooking for the family, or even
taking from society.
6. I believe there are activities that both public and private families involve in. They are both
supporting a family, so they still have to grocery shop, pay bills, etc. I think this is more of what
both families will accomplish daily.
7. Sociological researchers cannot be objective because they allow their own morals and beliefs to
contradict the research. They will only harm the research if it is objective.
8. Many people develop their self-identities through reflexivity. This is where they basically take
the knowledge they have of their behavior and thoughts and use it to their advantage to find
their identity.
9. I read the text and took it as families do not like to talk about the problems within their families.
I eliee they rate their proles ot at high risk here as they ay rate other faily’s
problems high risk.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

Elizabeth Shelby
CFS 2050
Homework 2
Part 2
1. Lineages helped by limiting the number of people who were related and would share things
such as land, water, and animals. This helped tribal families because it was family ties in the
society. Everyone obeyed laws set by their elders instead of the government. They tended to
farmland because it was their own land instead of shared or borrowed.
2. The colonial family did a lot of things differently than the modern family. Such as
homeschooling, vocational training, and prayed daily. The modern family based marriage on
affection and love, primary role of wife is caregiver for children, and the number of children per
family declined.
3. Marriage changed during the late 1700s and early 1800s by the role of romantic love increasing
and emotion played a big role in choosing a spouse.
4. The ost of the oe’s sphere as liited opportuities, oeet to age laor
separated women from paid work, and they were forced to give up their individualism for their
children and husband. The benefits were that women were appointed as the guardian of moral
values, it created an identification of women as a group, and wives could counter the authority
of their husbands.
5. The sope of the priate fail ireased after 9  seuality growing, people thought a
good marriage required a good sex life, and birth control was more normal.
6. The life in the 1950s were distinctive compared to earlier to later in the century by couples
getting married younger and more children than any other generation, couples had children
faster and had more children, and homemakers went back to work outside of the home after
their children were of school age.
7. The percentage rose towards the end of the century because of increase in marital separation
and divorce and birth to unmarried parents.
8. It means to study the lives of individuals within families and examine how historical
deelopets affet the ourse of these idiiduals’ persoal ad fail lies.
9. The oept of earl adulthood is eergig orather than 50 or 100 years ago because
employment opportunities have improved and when most early adults live separately their
parents will have less authority over who they marry.
Unlock document

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class